Tuesday 8 May 2012

Securing the Objects




To ensure the items would be secure within the box I needed to think of a way of packing them.
 I thought about bubble wrap; however I wanted the items to be seen when the box is opened. Also it can be time consuming and annoying having to un-wrap all the items and sorting them into order before starting, then packing them back up when finished.

When looking at packaging in general, I noticed a lot of things are packed away by plastic moulds or polystyrene.
As I thought polystyrene was properly the easiest to use and get hold of, I experimented with this. I wanted to create different compartments for the different object for ease of the user.
cut with a craft knife - didn’t work well as it left me with jagged edges and in a mess. 






Cut with a hot knife- more successful as it cut through the polystyrene neatly, but at the start of the cut the knife was hotter so it melted more from the top than the bottom.



Another idea was to use foam, and putting slits to hold the object in. This worked out the best, so I will be using foam.
When I slotted the test tubes down into the foam, they didn’t sit neatly together, so I placed them at an angle so they all fit in a row, this also allowed the labels to be seen clearer.